Thursday, May 11, 2006

Concerned about NSA Spying?

One of Jack Cafferty's questions of the day today was "Does it concern you that your phone company may be providing your phone records to the government without your knowledge or permission?"

Since I'd like to remember what I said, and I don't have time to ask the NSA for a transcript, here's my contribution to that discussion:

Does it concern me that the NSA is compiling a record of who I've called and who has called me? You bet! I can assure you that bin Laden hasn't been calling my house, nor I his, and we haven't had Zawahiri over for dinner. Is this program helping the Bush administration fight terror? Last time I checked, all the "name guys" -- bin Laden, Zawahiri, Zarqawi -- were still at large. But that's to be expected. This is the kind of program that is far better at letting the administration keep track of their internal enemies. You know, the American people. Want to know who called USA Today to spill the beans on this? I bet it's in the NSA's phone record database. Want to know who's organizing the next pro-Bill of Rights rally? I bet you that's in the NSA's phone record database too.

Serious trouble? Double true, dat.

No comments: