You have to love Republicans. They find one thing which, if looked at correctly -- that is to say, if you squint real hard and ignore everything around it -- could be loosely construed as true. Or not false, at any rate.
- Government spending has increased
- Government spending as a percentage of GDP (Gross Domestic Product) has gone up
- There is less money coming into the government, thanks to the Great Recession
- The government is spending more money on "safety net" programs because of the Great Recession
- Less money in + more money out = spending, as a percentage of GDP, goes up.
Twelve bonus points if you say "Republicans!"
Oh, and I forgot: Did you know that your burn more calories walking uphill than you do downhill?