Thursday, August 17, 2006

Judge Rebukes Wiretap Program - Wingnuts Explode!

OK, I admit it. I don't have first-hand experience. I haven't even heard stories. All I've done so far is seen the crawl on one of the televisions at the gym I frequent, and that was enough for me to fill in the blanks. The story? Here's MSNBC's take: Judge rebukes wiretap program. This has been the bread-and-butter issue for all those nice folks on, say, LGF (well, that and just about anything else Shrub has put his moniker on) and now that it's been suspended it is just a matter of time before those same nice folks begin calling for "activist judges" to meet some kind of untimely demise.

Bear in mind that the "activist judge" in this case decided that the Constitution of the United States, that same document that lets all those nice folks who populate RightWingia own firearms, says in two places -- the first and fourth amendments -- that the President can't just go off and order wiretaps, and that the President also has to obey the law of the land, just like mere mortals.

Law and Order are clearly too much for the nice folks of RightWingia to abide, and I can hear the sound of heads exploding even as I type these words. The President, clearly, is entitled to obey only those laws He deems proper. He has already indicated this with His signing statements, appended to those laws He signs. And the President is clearly entitled to do what He deems proper when the nation is at war, especially if it is a war that He initiated for purposes that only He can properly divine.

Meanwhile, I'm going to see if I can't scare up a latte, or whatever it is that those of us on the left, we scary people who believe in the rule of law, are supposed to drink.

No comments: